So I get a message from my doctor that I have hypothyroidism and that I need to go on Synthroid (hormone replacement). Also that my cholesterol has jumped up from 170 to 231, and that it may be related to the hypothyroidism. I feel so old! Like my body is breaking down.
I know that there is nothing that I did to cause the hypothyroidism, and that it is relatively quite common... but that is for other people! I feel like my body has betrayed me.
I guess that I am mostly upset because this will mean daily medication for the rest of my life in the case that it is a long term affliction... which it usually is.
I looked up the symptoms of hypothyroidism to see if I had any of them...
1. Poor muscle tone *not really*
2. Fatigue *I have been feeling unusually craptastic as of late.. but I was kinda chalking that up to the January blahs.*
3. Cold Intolerance *um... duh. No change there*
4. Constipation. *I had this a few months back... not so much now. I know, I know.. TMI. But this is MY blog!! :P*
5. Weight gain. *I have gained about 20lbs since the wedding... but I was also eating more! lol*
6. Muscle cramps and joint pain. *I have been having more of this... but I chalked it up to muscle pulls at work - and I still think so!*
7. Brittle fingernails. *no more than usual*
8. Thin brittle hair. *not per se*
9. Paleness. *um... I am a white chick who works the night shift!!*
... and less often
10. Heat intolerance *not really*
11. Impaired memory *all my life*
12. Impaired cognitive function/ inattentiveness *um... yeah... *hangs head**
13. Hives *no*
14. Migraines *not to speak of*
15. Slow heart rate, and cardiac output. *no, and not of last May*
16. Post-prandial hypoglycemia *no idea... but I don't think so. All my blood sugar tests have been fine*
17. Pericardial effusions. *Not as of last May*
18. Sluggish reflexes. *Actually I would have to classify myself as hyper reflexive*
19. Hair loss. *not more than normal*
20. Anemia *no*
21. Anxiety/Panic attacks. *actually yes... *
22. Difficulty swallowing *hrmm... again, occasionally, yes*
23. Shortness of breath with a shallow and slow respiratory pattern. *no*
24. Impaired ventilatory responses to hypercapnia and hypoxia. *not tested.. obviously!*
25. Increased need for sleep. *slightly ... perhaps*
26. Irritability and mood instability. *ahh... I am very moody these days*
27. Osteopenia or Osteoporosis. *not sure*
28. Yellowing of the skin due to impaired conversion of beta-carotene to Vit A *no*
29. Impaired renal function with decreased GFR. *not sure about the GFR, but I believe my B/Cr is normal*
30. Thin, fragile or absent cuticles. *no*
31. Elevated serum cholesterol *yes*
32. Acute psychosis *NO!!... though T might disagree! ; )*
33. Decreased libido *Heh... slightly... but its sure not gone! I thought this was from fatigue*
34. Decreased sense of taste and smell. *no*
35. Puffy face hands and feet *NO! I am just big boned!! :P*
Ok... that was either kinda scary, or I am just seeing these 'everyday problems' in hind sight. All I know is that my TSH is 6.1, and it is supposed to be less than 5.5. Last time it was checked (5-4-7) it was 3.09. It is still not all that elevated, but I am not sure what you normally see with elevated TSHs. They did not do a T3, T4, or FreeT4, and at my last go around they were normal. Course they could be normal now and I would still have hypothyroidism because the fact is that my body is releasing more Thyroid Stimulating Hormone to keep those hypothetical numbers normal (compensated). I can't say that I am completely convinced yet, but I guess I will try out the meds and will get my hormone levels retested in 3 months.
So my question now is... how do you remember how to take a daily med 30min before first meal when your daily schedule keeps changing... and you have a bad memory!
Well.. I have made it to the end of one week after setting my resolutions. I have managed to lose 2.5lbs *yeah*, keep up with my journaling and food diary, and buy 1 piece of furniture. I have not done all that well with my financial issues because I bought a piece of furniture. Actually my main problem is that I have also found 3 more pieces of furniture that I am seriously considering buying... and this is going to make me loose ground with my financial goal!! lol I am finding that I am just impatient and want to do everything at once, when what I probably need to do is plan and pace myself. That little voice in my head keeps telling me that 'the desks are on sale... who knows if they will be later..', but I know that if I get them on sale now and put them on plastic, then the interest I would have to pay would probably surpass what I would save if I just bought them later at retail price.
BUT I WANT THEM!!
See?? It's like dealing with a child!! lol
Anyways, back to my resolutions... lol. I feel that I was for the most part pretty successful. What I need to do now is just focus on cleaning and organizing the study *No... I haven't started that yet!*... so that when my furniture gets here on wednesday I can put it in immediately!
That should keep me busy for a while... AND tare of that pesky organizational resolution!!
Well today is the day! I have to put an end to the madness!! :P
Today I start counting my calories and start being accountable for the food choices I am making. As always the hardest thing is actually going to be drinking enough water. I hope to start adding some exercise in a couple of weeks.
You can see that I have changed my avatar to reflect the strength that I am going to have to keep my paws off of all those sugary foods out there. I specifically am going to have to make a concerted effort to stay away from the candy machines at work, and to not stop at Chick-fil-a on the way home. It has certainly helped that they have raised the cost of the snacks in the machines this week!!
T as always is a machine and I am with no doubt grateful that she is in charge of the grocery shopping and food prep. I will endeavor to keep her as an encouragement, and not compare myself to her.
Good Luck to me!!
My resolutions remain much the same as they usually are... with a couple of exceptions.
As always I want to lose weight. Duh, eh?? :P I want to feel more in control of my finances. Increase my 'have' in reflection to my... er... 'have not'! Most of all I want to stop making decisions that are based on the intent to pay for it later. I have consistently proven that I am incapable of getting around to things in a timely manor!! I want to try and keep up with my food diary, and journaling here. I find it empowering and it gives me time to sit and take inventory on how I am doing. I want to finally get around to organizing my environment. I know that it has a huge impact on my stress level, and ultimately it will help me function better on a day to day basis. My goal here is to take one room at a time... hopefully one a month and finally get it done! I want to finally get some adult furniture. Perhaps only a few pieces... but it will help the house feel less like some dorm room!
So to review...
1. Lose 30 lbs
2. Improve my financial standing. (Lets say: Reduce debt by $2000)
3. Keep up with my journal and food diary - at least on a weekly basis.
4. Organize 3 rooms in the house in the next 6 months.
5. Get 2 adult furniture pieces.
I reserve the right to alter, adjust, add to resolutions as I see fit! :P